Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Math with children

I have grumped before about doing math with the kids. Most of the problem was mine. Although I think any parent who has helped their kids with math can understand the frustration of explaining the same thing over and over every day that math is done. But I have make a concerted effort to calm myself down and not get over-excited about it. Patience has been long in coming, but I am doing MUCH better.

Sometimes though, math is funny. Yesterday, Kiril was doing some homework. It was a story problem with several parts, so I helped him with the first bit...actually doing the problem. Then his page had a second section asking him to explain how he got the answer. This is what he wrote:

At first I was thinking.
Next I asked my dad.
Then I subtracted. (there was no subtracting)
Finally I did it!

Needless to say, I had a good laugh before making him rewrite it.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Yeah, I am so not looking forward to actually having to do homework with my kids. I mean, today, I have to trace hands and feet and help Gabe cut them out but that doesn't really count.

I'm afraid I won't be nearly as patient as I need to be.